Paris, Ontario is located at the Forks of the Grand, where the Grand and Nith Rivers meet. It was first settled by Hiram Capron who came to Norfolk County in 1822 where he helped to establish one of Upper Canada's first iron foundries. In 1830 he constructed a grist-mill and named the town after the gypsum deposits that were mined nearby. Gypsum is used to make plaster of Paris. Paris is often referred to as the "cobblestone capital of Canada" because of the many cobblestone buildings that are still found in the town. Cobblestone architecture refers to the use of cobblestones embedded in mortar to erect walls of houses and commercial buildings. We often make a trip to Paris to wander the streets, visit the shops and have a cup of coffee at Tim Horton's.Glen Morris is located on East River Road, Brant County Road #14. The German Woolen Mill was built in 1867 and operated for several years. The Glen Morris General Store is located on Princess Street. Glen Morris is located about 22 kilometres northwest of Brantford, 11 kilometres southwest of Cambridge, and 11 kilometres northeast of Paris. My great grandmother, Elizabeth Carter Cromwell, is buried in Glen Morris Cemetery.
Innerkip, Ontario is the subject of Book 17 in the Cruising Ontario series of books of photographs of towns and cities in Ontario. Included in this book are pictures in Woodstock, Huntingford, Punkeydoodles Corners, and Hickson. The photos show the architecture and design of old buildings, many that are over 100 years old. Sometimes there are descriptions of the buildings and some background information, but mostly it is a visual experience to enjoy.
In 1854, Benjamin Shantz acquired a sawmill on Mill Creek from George Butchart, built a gristmill nearby and a community people developed around these mills. Stores, hotels and tanneries were built and a village plot for Port Elgin was laid out in 1857. The original economic development of Port Elgin during the 19th century was based on its harbour facilities on Lake Huron making the village a distribution centre for the surrounding agricultural region. The book includes pictures taken in Hepworth which is located at the base of the Bruce Peninsula on Highway 6 east of Sauble Beach. Sauble Beach is a resort community on the eastern shore of Lake Huron with a beach that is seven miles long; a few pictures taken here are shown. Pictures taken in Shallow Lake, another town located on Highway 6 south and east of Hepworth, have been added. Architectural styles and terms are described in the appendix.
Latest News Headlines Articles
Latest News Headlines Books